June 28, 2010

Medication: To Take or Not to Take!


So, I feellike this debate rages on and on and on and on, including with myself. To give you a bit of background, before I started PA school I was very fearful of medication in general.  I actually had many long "thinking-periods" where I actually wondered if being a PA was a good choice for me.  I felt this way because I almost felt that there were very few good reasons to take medications and had learned much about a lot of big Pharm conspiracy theories (which many are often true).  But, after much reflection, some prayer regarding the subject and ultimately starting school and now in my third pharm class I have come to, I think a solid bit of advice to the world regarding medication:
"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE LUNCH"
What I mean by this, to try and put it short, is that many medications truly are little miracles, BUT you must recognize that they are not the type of miracle that occurs without consequences.  When deciding to take medications, please use the mindset of pro's and con's. I will ASSURE YOU that often the pro's of medication outweigh the con's, and make sure that when you take these medications you are not ignorant of their side effects.  

I usually would fully support a combination of health care including: EXERCISE, WATER INTAKE, SLEEP, HEALTHY EATING (which is a whole other post), and MEDICATION. You can truly get optimal results when combining all forms of treatment.  Do not rely solely on medication, and think of it as a "no-effort" quick-fix to your problems, because if you do this, you WILL develop other problems that did not exist before.  Be wary of medication, be smart about them, but most of all do not fear them... just be cautious and realize many of them are truly miraculous, but not without some side effects.  You are not above the side effects of medication, but if you do weigh pro's vs. con's and couple it with LIFESTYLE CHANGES, I really think you will NOT REGRET YOUR MEDICATION USAGE!
I plan on doing a medication spotlight once a week on commonly used medications so stay tuned!

as always, Love Kim

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, good to know! I can't wait until you do the spotlights!

JEN said...

Kim! I just have to tell you... I am loving all of your posts lately! I mean... I always like to see what you guys are up to. But I love to learn more about the human body and how to take better care of mine:) I hope these posts continue! Very interesting and insightful!

Our Little Family said...

I was reading the talk given by Elder Dallin H Oaks during the priesthood session of the last conference this morning. It is called "Healing the Sick." In the first part he wrote " Latter-day Saints believe in applying the best available scientific knowledge and techniques. We use nutrition, exercise, and other practices to preserve health and we enlist the help of healing practitioners, such as physicians and surgeons, to restore health. The use of medical science is not at odds with our prayers of faith and our reliance on priesthood blessings. When a person requested a priesthood blessing, Brigham Young would ask, 'have you used any remedies?' To those who said no because 'we wish the Elders to lay hands upon us, and we have faith that we shall be healed,' President Young replied: 'That is very inconsistent according to my faith. If we are sick, and ask the Lord to heal us, and to do all for us that is necessary to be done, according to my understanding of the gospel of salvation, I might as well ask the Lord to cause my wheat to grow and corn to grow, without my plowing the ground and casting the seed. It appears consistent to me to apply every remedy that comes within the range of my knowledge, and then to ask my Father in heaven....to sanctify that application to the healing of my body."

It is a good talk, and it made me think about how medications are not bad as long as we don't abuse them. The things here on earth are for us to use, but of course we should gain an understanding of what we are taking, like with anything we choose to do.

Great post Kim!!

Renae said...

I would love for you to spotlight medicine. I am very afraid of it. I hardly ever take medicine at all...ever. But I've been blessed with pretty good health too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails