March 16, 2010

Teen Life Conference

Every year Touro University puts on something called Teen Life Conference, in which local high school students (few hundred) come to our campus and we have tables with health information, lectures, exercise classes, rock wall etc... to teach the kids about health and being healthy and eating healthy, an all around HEALTHY LIFESTYLE. I was in charge of putting together our booth on "What is a PA?" and "Confidentiality." I also gave a presentation on "Sugar in Soda, and replacing it with water!" So I wanted to share with you some of my highlights.

In one 12 oz. can of soda there is:
207 Calories
40 g of sugar
Forty grams of sugar is the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar.
10 teaspoons of sugar is the equivalent of 20 sugar cubes
Drinking one Coke a day for a year results in the consumption of 32 pounds of sugar.
A 120 lb individual will burn 100 calories for every mile ran (9 min mile). In order to burn 1 lb of fat (=3500 calories), the individual must run 35 miles.


One 12 oz can of soda a day can translate into 18 lbs of fat gained per year (HOT)!!! Is one 12 0z can of soda worth running for two miles?



hope you all enjoyed a bit of my lecture, there was more on water, but this is all I have time to do now!

5 comments:

Savannah said...

This makes me so happy I don't ever drink soda! I would share this with my husband but I don't think it would make a difference :)

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Kim, I LOVE it! We don't drink Coke, but I have a ton of friends that do, and I just emailed them your link, lol! Hope everything is going well babe!

Thrillsons said...

It is so crazy what we put into our bodies without even thinking. Great presentation!

Barb said...

So glad I don't drink soda right now or I'd be feeling pretty bad...wow. I do have an occasionally root beer - maybe once a month. So I think I'm doing pretty good.

Cody and Meg said...

YIKES! That was depressing! However I don't think there is a stat in the world that will ever get my husband away from his beloved Dr. Pepper! He single handedly keeps that business running!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails